To help your child heal, make sure to follow all instructions from your dentist or oral surgeon closely and keep these care tips in mind:
• A protective blood clot will form at the site where the tooth was extracted. Keep your child from using a straw or swishing liquids for at least 24 hours to keep this healthy clot in place and prevent infection.
• Serve soft foods that aren’t too hot or cold. Soup (let cool before serving), scrambled eggs and applesauce are all good choices.
• If your child has swollen cheeks, use an ice pack every few hours for 15 minutes at a time.
• Remind your child not to touch the area where the tooth was pulled.
• After 24 hours, have your child gargle with warm saltwater several times each day to keep the socket clean of food and debris.
• Your child should continue to brush twice a day and floss daily. Make sure he or she is gentle and avoids the site of the missing tooth for at least a week.